Go Into The Story | Question: How about adapting a comic book for a first screenplay?

Peter Dwight says:
2009-10-21 15:45:03

Interesting topic. I always find myself critiquing and saying I can do better video game/comic book adaptations than what's being produced. But pretty much the bottom line for a newb like me, is I have to do some good original work before I can gain any assignment jobs or make pitches about comics and games i love.

Someday... someday...
Grant says:
2009-10-21 15:58:04

Seeing some of the comic book deals over on donedealpro, I don't think any of them are off the radar.

I've even heard anecdotal stories of screenwriters doing small runs of an original comic just for the studios.
Rajb says:
2009-10-21 16:30:54

Scott -thanks for the feedback. And I don't own the rights to the comic and nor do I think I can afford them.

Grant - I'm not entirely sure about the status of the comic. But I'm confident someone will pick it up in the future - its too awesome to be overlooked.
Deaf Indian Muslim Anarchist! says:
2009-10-21 16:53:45

I dont know if this is helpful but... I once read an article last year about a screenwriter who wrote a spec based on a comic book... now, he CHANGED all the characters' names and changed the plot around a little bit... and when he sold the spec to a studio, they decided to use THAT actual comic book and they got the copyright, so he was able to change the characters' names back to the original names from the comic.

So I guess, if you wanna write a spec based on a comic book, you should probably change all the names and maybe change it around a bit.
rajiv130 says:
2009-10-22 13:27:31

DIMA - That wouldn't seem right to me. Plus it would be difficult in this situation b/c the character is so unique that it would just come off as stealing.
Mystery Man says:
2009-10-22 18:31:02

There's a website devoted to comic book characters who are in the public domain. When it comes to adaptations, I'd start there.

Even I added a couple of those characters to my ever-growing list of ideas.

-MM